Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版: 序 Evangerion Shin Gekijōban: Jo) is a Japanese animated film written and chief directed by Hideaki Anno. It is the first of four films released in the Rebuild of Evangelion tetralogy based on the original anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion.
It was produced and co-distributed by Anno's Studio Khara in partnership with Gainax. Hideaki Anno wrote the first movie and is the general director and manager for the entire project. The film is based on the first six episodes of the original series.
It was originally released in Japan on September 1, 2007. A modified version (titled Evangelion: 1.01 You Are (Not) Alone) was released theatrically in North America by FUNimation Entertainment on September 30, 2009 and later released on DVD in November 17, 2009. The film was further edited with 3 minutes of new material added and released as Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone on DVD/Blu-Ray in Japan on May 27, 2009, and in North America on March 9, 2010.
On August 13, 2021, Amazon Prime Video released the movie with a new English dub. Much of the voice actors from the original dub as well as the ADV Films dub of the original show reprised their roles in the Amazon dub such as Spike Spencer, Allison Keith and John Swasey. Amanda Winn Lee was also brought back as Rei Ayanami.
|Shinji Ikari||Megumi Ogata||Spike Spencer|
|Rei Ayanami||Megumi Hayashibara||Brina Palencia||Amanda Winn Lee|
|Misato Katsuragi||Kotono Mitsuishi||Allison Keith|
|Kaworu Nagisa||Akira Ishida||Jerry Jewell||Daman Mills|
|Gendō Ikari||Fumihiko Tachiki||John Swasey|
|Ritsuko Akagi||Yuriko Yamaguchi||Colleen Clinkenbeard||Mary Faber|
|Kōzō Fuyutsuki||Motomu Kiyokawa||Kent Williams||Michael Ross|
|Maya Ibuki||Miki Nagasawa||Caitlin Glass||Amy Seeley|
|Makoto Hyūga||Hiro Yūki||Mike McFarland||Joe Fria|
|Shigeru Aoba||Takehito Koyasu||Phil Parsons||Jason C. Lee|
|Tōji Suzuhara||Tomokazu Seki||Justin Cook||Brett Weaver|
|Kensuke Aida||Tetsuya Iwanaga||Greg Ayres||Alejandro Saab|
|Hikari Horaki||Junko Iwao||Leah Clark||Kimberly Yates|
|Keel Lorenz||Mugihito||Bill Jenkins||Tom Booker|
- Save for Shinji, Asuka, Misato, and Gendo; almost all of the characters are recast with FUNimation's regular voice actors, likely due to the majority of the original ADV secondary voice cast having moved on from voice acting.
- Brina Palencia replacing Amanda Winn Lee was of specific uproar from fans, especially as Lee was more than willing to reprise the role. The exact reasons for FUNimation recasting are unclear; though Lee attributes it to "politics".
- John Swasey as Gendo was already a replacement for Tristan MacAvery for ADV's dub of the Director's Cut of Episodes 21-24.
- However, the dub produced by Amazon Prime brought back some ADV actors like Jason C. Lee and Amanda Winn Lee as well.
- Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone at the Internet Movie Database
- Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia